A Maternity Catarina Dress

I have a couple more maternity makes to share, and this is one of them. This is the Catarina dress from Seamwork magazine, with a simple mod to fit the belly. When the Seamwork issue with the Catarina and Kennedy dresses was released, I practically ran to Staples to get them both printed...they're both such pretty and fun party dresses for summer! For my Catarina, I opted for this buffalo plaid Japanese cotton shirting from Blackbird Fabrics. This fabric was originally slotted to be an Archer shirt, but I couldn't wait to make the Catarina so decided to use this fabric for this dress instead. 

Construction went pretty well. The best part about this design (and the only part that was completely new to me) is the adjustable straps...it's soooo handy to have this new skill and it really wasn't that hard! While I love the Sallies and Saltsprings of the world, there is something so professional-looking about an adjustable strap and I don't know if I'll ever go back! Also, because the bodice is lined, and this fabric has no stretch, I need to be able to loosen the straps to get the dress on, since there are no closures. 

The main issue I ran into with the dress overall was turning the straps and waist tie. I even had a loop turner, but the fabric kept getting stuck. Maybe turning straps is easier with a stretchier fabric, or a slightly wider strap / tie. I haven't made enough spaghetti straps to troubleshoot this yet. I got there eventually, but it was a bit of a struggle. 

I made two modifications: the first was to raise the waistline by a couple of inches to fit over the baby bump. I knew I'd want to be able to wear this again post-pregnancy, so I didn't trim the extra bodice fabric...I'm hoping next summer I can take apart and re-attach the skirt and bodice at the original waistline. The second mod was to reduce the width of the skirt pieces. With the full width, the skirt just looked huge...this may have been because I cut too big a size (it was hard to figure out my size at 6 months pregnant). Another factor was maybe the fabric choice. A drapier or slinkier fabric may have looked less billowy. Once those to modifications were made, I was really happy with the fit of this dress. I definitely want to make another one next summer in a silky fabric though...I think it will have a totally different effect. 

These pictures were taken at about 31 weeks. The fabric is lightweight yet opaque so it was a perfect summer dress for work and weekend. I have one more maternity make to share...will try and take some pictures this week. Til then!